MAGIC. If you do not believe in magic, your life will not be magical. Magic, like the power of Stonehenge, is part of the unknowable – that which you cannot describe, but which exists and makes your life extraordinary. It is part of the goodness of your spirit. It is that mysterious and intriguing part of your spiritual life. Magic is what we are all looking for, but if you try to name it and describe it, you will lose it…Out of the mists of the dawn and the mysteries of creation comes the magic that we call life. Out of your passion for existence comes magic.
~ Lynn V. Andrews ~ The Power Deck
DO YOU BELIEVE IN MAGIC?
The Power Deck is one of my favorite meditation tools. I have used it time and time again to deepen my meditation practice and to delve into my inner world. When I pulled this card, I knew I needed to explore it a bit further. Do I really believe in magic? I am an open minded person, but do I really, truly believe there is magic in the world.
This is a tough one. As children we believe in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy because we are innocent and our parents want us to believe that anything is possible. Yet, when we become a certain age…that’s it…no more magic! Once we realize that the physical being who brings us presents doesn’t exist, we become disillusioned like the rest of the world. Now, magic doesn’t exist. This is what we are taught from that day forward.
I have my own personal issues with the belief in magic that stem from at least 2 things that come to mind, a tumultuous childhood and a strict religious upbringing. I remember laying in bed and praying for things to get better. They never got better. If prayer didn’t seem to be working and I was told that prayers were always answered, how could there be magic in the world? How could I believe that anything and everything is possible? I couldn’t. Life was all too raw and all too real. Addictions and negative belief systems passed from one generation to the next kept the weight of the world on my little shoulders. Here I am years later trying to unwind a lifetime of self-limiting beliefs.
With all of my heart, I want to believe that anything is possible and I definitely want my children to believe that. Every day, step by step, I get a little bit closer. I work on it in meditation and I work on it consciously in my life. If I can fully believe that I create my own destiny and that I am not a little pawn getting knocked around in the game of life, I am a little bit closer to believing in magic.
These are the visuals that I hold in my mind and heart that help me to believe that magic does exist…it must!
1. THE GRAND CANYON. Have you ever seen it in person? It is truly breathtaking!! I will never forget seeing it for the first time. I had recently graduated from college and was on a cross-country trip with 2 friends. I stepped out to take a look for the first time and tears came into my eyes immediately. That was the first time I felt the vastness of life and the potential for beauty. It was the closest I had ever come to feeling my connection with all things. It was awe inspiring, emotion evoking, and magical!
2. MY KIDS. Daily I look at them and think about how truly lucky I am. They chose me to be their mom! Parenting can be hard…no one is denying that. If you let them, kids can help you see the magical moments in life. They can see the magic even when you can’t. They can bring it to you, usually through imagination, play, and laughter.
3. BUTTERFLIES. Metamorphosis is an intriguing and magical process. Because of my daughter’s fascination, we recently watched the whole cycle…from caterpillar to chrysalis to butterfly. It is truly amazing! If you have never observed it, I highly suggest you get yourself some caterpillars and watch. It is actual earth magic! No wonder the butterfly is a symbol for transformation.
4. FLOWERS and other PLANTS. The beauty begins with a tiny seed! With enough love and attention the seed will become a full grown plant, providing us with healthy food to eat or flowers for our garden. I see the magic in that! It also gives us a beautiful metaphor for our own projects/ideas/manifestations. Ideas are the seeds. If given enough care and attention, they can grow and flower and manifest in the physical world. Wishes coming true!
5. RAINBOWS. They always seem to show up when you need to see them, when you’ve had a rough day or just need a reminder of how beautiful life really is. It doesn’t always feel beautiful, that’s for sure. Nothing like a rainbow to put things in perspective. Many times it has been raining all day and when it finally clears…this amazing, magical rainbow of light appears in the sky! That’s magic, my friends, that’s magic.
Maroon 5 lyrics are now running through my head, “It’s not always rainbows and butterflies…” These are 5 of the symbols that help me reaffirm to myself that anything is possible and that magic does exist. What are yours?